Thursday, May 17, 2012

The story of Arrietty

Say cheese!
This is FarmWife and her oldest human filly
meeting Arrietty G. Teaspoon for the very first time. 
Here is the story of Arrietty, as well as we know it:

She was born seven years ago to a miniature mare in Conway, Washington. She was named Teaspoon by her breeder. Her breeder, a nurse, trained her to go into nursing homes to assist a man with Parkinson's. Teaspoon learned to walk up stairs, ride in elevators, and generally be a good friend to humans. She exudes peace and love.

At some point in her early life, Teaspoon got a great big dent in her hindquarters, but she seems quite sound and comfortable! It is clear to all of us that Teaspoon never knew an unfriendly person. Unlike me, Fenway Bartholomule, she walks joyfully up to EVERYONE. I, on the other hand, only go looking for love from children, gentle women, and People of Established Trust.

At age five, Teaspoon was sold to a nice couple who named her Gertie. They lived in the tri-cities area of Washington State. They were parents, but their children were grown. After some time, they began to feel that Gertie would love to be a little girl's pet. They thought of teaching Gertie to drive, but never got around to starting her. They took awfully good care of her, though, and when they decided to sell her they wanted to be sure she went someplace special.

Gertie's owners found FarmWife (actually, FarmWife found them through Craigslist) and thought it seemed a good fit: in Wickersham, you see, there was a lonesome mule of excellent character; a smart woman with plenty of equine management experience; a not-too-big, not-too-grassy field; three sensitive, caring, and mule-crazy little girls; and a mule-shaped hole where Teaspoon/Gertie/Arrietty belonged. It was going to be perfect.

FarmWife, her mother, and her oldest human filly picked the little mule up in a Volkswagen Vanagon on Mother's Day, and the little mule arrived at Bent Barrow Farm as cool as a cucumber and as confident as a . . . well, as a mule. You can imagine that I was quite beside myself with excitement the day she came! She lived across the fence from me for 48 hours before she was given into my care, and we did a bit of staring and carrying on. After she came into my field, I showed her the best place to roll, the best way to drink (with tongue dangling, to catch a cool breeze), and the best place to stand for a view of the schoolbus stop. We have had all sorts of fun already.

FarmWife and her girls have decided to call their little mule Miss Arrietty G. Teaspoon. I call her MINE.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks in Advance for Your Mulish Opinion!